Guest Column

Voting in congressional race is as important as presidential race

Molly Gibbs | Senior Staff Photographer

Dana Balter speaks to community members in a 2018 file photo.

Election Day is a week away, and while the focus of the country is fixed on the presidential race, we also should focus on congressional races. Often when talking to friends, they are not aware of the congressional race happening in this district. Maybe they see the lawn signs or even the ads on YouTube, but still they don’t know who Rep. John Katko (R-Camillus) or Dana Balter are and their race to represent New York’s 24th Congressional District.

Katko is the Republican incumbent who’s represented this district since 2015. In 2016, he refused to endorse or vote for President Donald Trump, but in January 2020 he endorsed him in his second presidential bid. Katko’s voting record goes against my beliefs and the beliefs of many in this district. For example, he’s voted to defund Planned Parenthood five times, has voted against the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act and voted in support of the 2017 GOP tax scam that hurts working families.

Sign up for The Daily Orange Newsletter

*
* indicates required

Balter is the Democratic candidate running against Katko. She has worked as a director of education at a disability services nonprofit, and before her decision to run for Congress, was a professor here at Syracuse University teaching public policy and citizenship in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.

If elected, Balter will prioritize affordable healthcare and a fair economy and will take the influence of big money out of our political system.

As a young person who wants to see progressive change in this country, I am glad to see that other people my age are starting to become more politically engaged. However, it is worth noting that there is more than just the presidential election happening this November. Change happens in all areas of government, and it’s important to know who is representing your interests in Congress. I am voting in this district, and I am voting for Balter because she represents my interests.

Even if Trump were to lose this election, there is a possibility that people like Katko, who supports and endorses Trump, will remain in office. Early voting is happening now, and it has never been more important for young people to either mail in their absentee ballots or go to the polls and vote in person. But before you fill out your ballot, make sure you are well-informed on every race that is happening, because you are affected by politics on all levels of government.

Sophia Mercurio, ‘23