Valentine's Day Guide 2017

Don’t want to spend lots of money this Valentine’s Day? Make your gifts instead

Delaney Kuric | Staff Illustrator

College is stressful, and Valentine’s Day is probably the last thing on your mind. Don’t worry —finding the perfect gift doesn’t have to be. This collection of homemade gift ideas is easy and cheap enough so it won’t break your bank, but can also be personalized to show just how you feel. With these gifts, you can’t go wrong.

Hot chocolate mason jars
These jars are a fun and easy gift to give your friends, no matter how small your budget is. Plus, hot chocolate is always a good thing during the winter in Syracuse. All you need to do is fill a mason jar halfway with instant hot chocolate mix and then fill the rest with mini-marshmallows and candy hearts. To top it off, tie a Valentine’s-themed ribbon around the lid and write a little note if you want. This way, you can give a great gift to your friends, spend a minimal amount of money and have something special for your next girls’ night in.

Hand-decorated mugs
Mornings are tough, but drinking coffee or tea from a special mug can make it better. A personalized mug isn’t just fun — it’s practical, too. Just head to Michaels at Destiny USA and pick up a ceramic mug and some paint pens — or actual paint if you’re feeling ambitious — and decorate it with a funny saying or cool design. Michaels also sells chalkboard mugs, which can also be a fun way to individualize your gift. To sweeten it up, you can fill up the mug with chocolate or candy hearts.

“I love you” card deck
This one is a bit more involved, and if you can come up with 52 different reasons why you love someone, congrats. To make it, you will need a deck of cards, a hole puncher and a pair of binder rings, which can be found at Staples. Cut index cards into small enough rectangles so they can fit on the playing card with some space showing, and then write something you love about your Valentine on each individual card. Finally, stick the index card onto the patterned side of the playing card, punch holes in each of the cards and attach them with the binder rings. Now, your loved one can have a pocket-sized book of reasons reminding them of how much you love them.

Wine bottle vases
Flowers are so typical for Valentine’s Day, so if you’re going to get them, why not make them special? All you need is an empty wine bottle – you probably have some lying around, anyway – some paint and the flowers. Paint the bottle however you want to show the person you care about them. In the end, you have a thoughtful gift that’s easy on your bank account and your effort level.

Booze bouquet
Whether you’re celebrating the night with your significant other or as a “Galentine’s Day” with your friends, a booze bouquet is sure to be a hit. Purchase a handful of 50 milliliter bottles of alcohol — only if you’re over 21, of course — find a basket or a bucket to be your base and then arrange the bottles to look like a bouquet. To add to the Valentine’s Day theme, tie a red ribbon around the base and throw in some chocolate.